The Affordable Care Act includes provisions relating to the collection and use of CMP monetary penalties imposed by CMS when nursing homes do not meet requirements for long-term care facilities. States may use collected CMP funds in accordance with federal law and policy with the approval of CMS.
Who Can Apply To Use CMP Funds
Requests to use CMP funds may be made by specific organizations and entities that qualify and are capable of carrying out the intended use, have no conflict-of-interest relationship with the entity that benefits from the intended use, are not recipients of a contract or grant or other payment from federal or state sources for the same use and are not paid by a federal or state source to perform the same function as the CMP use.
Examples of potential applicants include:
Certified nursing homes
Consumer advocacy organizations
State long-term care ombudsman programs
Quality improvement organizations
Resident or family councils
Professional or state nursing home associations
Academic or research institutions
State, local, or tribal governments
Profit, not-for-profit or other types of organizations
What Grants are available?
CMP Grants Listing
How to request CMP Funds
- Complete the CMP Fund Application PDF
- Complete the Budget Worksheet
- KY CMP Resource Guide
- E-mail CMP application
CMP funds must be used to support activities that benefit nursing home residents.
Permitted uses of CMP funds include:
Support and protection of residents of a facility that closes either voluntarily or involuntarily or is decertified.
Projects that support resident and family councils in assuring quality care in facilities.
Projects that support consumer involvement in assuring quality care in facilities.
Projects that support facility improvement initiatives.
Prohibited uses of CMP funds include:
- Projects for which a conflict of interest exists or the appearance of a conflict of interest exists.
- Payment to entities to perform functions for which they are already paid by state or federal sources.
- Payment for capital improvements to a nursing home or to build a nursing home.
- Payment for nursing home services or supplies that are the responsibility of the nursing home such as laundry, linen, food, heat, staffing costs, etc.
- Payment of salaries of temporary managers who are actively managing a nursing home.
- Funding for recruitment or certification training for long-term care ombudsman staff or volunteers or to investigate and work to resolve complaints.
CMP Announces Grant Opportunity for Visitation Air Flow and Quality Improvement
New As of Feb. 2, 2022, certified nursing facilities may apply for up to an additional $3,000 of CMP Nursing Home Visitation Aid Grant funds for the purchase of indoor portable fans and/or indoor portable air cleaners with high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA, H-13 or -14) filters to increase or improve air quality for resident in-person visitation. Please review the FAQ document below for details and complete the application form.
Email CMP Application form
Grant Available: Communicative Technology Project
Certified nursing facilities may apply for this CMP fund grant to help cover costs of certain communicative devices and accessories allowing residents to communicate remotely due to COVID-19 restrictions.