Division of Audits and Investigations

​​The Division of Audits and Investigations is responsible for investigating and auditing for possible fraud, waste or abuse of the programs administered by the Cabinet as mandated by KRS 194A.030. The division is responsible for enforcing the Kentucky Controlled Substances Act as outlined in KRS 218A.

Programs and Services

Division staff conducts the following types of investigations:

  • Fraud and abuse by physicians, dentists and other Medicaid providers;
  • Fraud and abuse by recipients in the Medicaid, KTAP, food stamps and child care benefits programs;
  • Fraud and abuse by grocery stores and other vendors participating in the WIC Program;
  • Fraud, abuse and other misconduct by CHFS employees and contractors; and
  • Controlled substance abuse and diversion.

The division has four branches:

Audits Branch

Compliance Branch

Drug Enforcement and Professional Practices Branch

Medicaid Preliminary Investigations Branch

Public Assistance Fraud is a Crime

Because public assistance fraud is a crime, substantiated investigations are referred for criminal prosecution or administrative sanctions.

You Can Help: If you know or suspect that someone is defrauding or abusing one or more of the programs that we investigate, please tell us. While many cases are the result of routine computer matches, many others could not have been detected without the help of conscientious and concerned citizens and taxpayers.

To report Medicaid and welfare fraud, please call: (800) 372-2970. The call is free and you may call anytime. If you want to talk to a staff member, please call Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Eastern time. At other times you may leave a message.

When you call, please provide as much information as possible, including:

  • Name(s), address(es) and any alias(es) of the person(s) you are reporting;
  • The name(s) and address(es) of any other person(s) who are pertinent to the allegation, including those spouses and children;
  • Social Security number(s) and birth date(s) for such person(s);
  • A factual statement of the allegation; and  
  • The name(s), address(es) and telephone number(s) of anyone who can provide information to us.
  • You do not have to give your name when you call. However, providing your name and a daytime telephone number will help us if we need clarification or additional information about your complaint. If you give us your name, we will still respect your anonymity.

You may also report suspected public assistance fraud by email or  by sending your complaint to us by mail at the following address:

Office of Inspector General
Division of Audits and Investigations
275 E. Main St., 5E-D
Frankfort, KY 40621

Please Note: Our investigative authority is limited to the areas discussed above. We do not investigate matters involving child or adult abuse (except those involving residents of some state facilities); Social Security, SSI or Section VIII fraud; or welfare programs administered by other states. Please report abuse and fraud complaints of this type to:

  • Abuse or neglect of a Kentucky resident – (800) 752-6200
  • Food Stamps trafficking in Kentucky – (800) 372-2970
  • Food Stamps trafficking in other states – (800) 424-9121
  • Social Security and SSI fraud – (800) 269-0271
  • Section VIII (subsidized housing) fraud – (800) 347-3735

To report child or adult abuse of a resident of another state, contact the social service agency for the state or county where the person resides.

To report Medicaid or welfare fraud in another state, contact the state or welfare agency for the state or county where the person resides. The United Council on Welfare Fraud maintains links to numerous sites for reporting welfare fraud.