Division of Regulated Child Care

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The Division of Regulated Child Care is responsible for licensing and investigating complaints against licensed child care facilities, certified family child care homes, residential child caring facilities and child placing agencies.

The fee for an initial child care license is $50 with an annual license renewal fee of $25. The ​​fee for an initial certificate for a certified family child care home and a bi-annual certification renewal fee is $10.

Are you interested in opening a licensed child-care facility or certified child care home? Child Care Aware offers a free class to assist potential child care providers in starting their business.Getting Started in Child Car​e

Providers must access and participate in the National Background Check Program. If you have questions about background checks or are unable to access the KARES application on your Kentucky Online Gateway main screen, please email us. The Division of Child Care will ensure your question is answered. See more information below.​

More information is available for those interested in child caring facilities or child placing agencies.

DRCC Branch Offices

DRCC branch offices conduct on-site visits of all Kentucky licensed child care centers and certified family child care homes to determine compliance with applicable regulations. Complaints concerning these centers and certified homes are investigated by branch office staff as well.

DRCC Branch Map 

​Parent/Public Resources

What to look for in a quality child care facility: Child Care Checklist for Parent​​​​​

Provider Information

Update Contact Information

To update your email address, telephone number or mailing address, please email your written request.​ Remember to include your license or certificate number.

Child Care Aware Health and Safety Coaches and Technical Assistance

Health and safety coaches are available to provide targeted technical assistance to providers to assure compliance with all child care regulations. For assistance​​ completing your corrective action plan, please contact your local Child Care Aware representative.

Change of Ownership​

A license for a child care center cannot be sold or transferred.

Change of ownership requires an initial application to be submitted to DRCC for approval prior to implementation. If a person, association or organization assumes ownership of a child care center without DRCC approval, the child care center is considered to be operating illegally. DRCC may take action against a child care center operating without a license.

Change of Director

A licensee will report to the Cabinet any resignation, termination or change of director. If the director has resigned or been terminated, the licensee must submit the name of an acting or permanent director who satisfies all director requirements within one week. A licensed provider will go no more than one week without declaring an approved director through DRCC.
Change of Director Information

Consumer Product Safety

Please post this at your licensed child care center: Consumer Product Safety Flyer