Certificates for Free Sale or Export

​Some countries require a certificate of free sale or export to import US food products. The certificate for free sale is evidence that food items are legally sold or distributed in the open market and approved by US regulatory authorities.

The Food Safety Branch may issue a certificate of free sale to Kentucky food processing establishments regulated by and in good standing with state Department of Public Health.  The Kentucky Food Safety Branch does not issue certificates of free sale for dietary supplements, USDA regulated products or animal/pet feed.  

The current fee is $50 for each certificate for free sale/export.


Request a Certificate

A DFS-206 Request for Certificate for Free Sale must be accompanied by check or money order payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer for the current fee. Mail completed form and fee to:

Food Safety Branch
275 East Main Street-Mail Stop: HS1C-F
Frankfort, KY, 40621-0001

Certificates for free sale are valid for one year. For additional information about certificates of free sale or export, contact Tammy Cooper of the Food Safety Branch at (502) 564-7181.

Additional Information

Applicable Regulation