Due to staffing impacts as a result of COVID-19, the Office of Vital Statistics regrettably must alter normal processes to ensure services continue in a timely manner.
The following changes are in effect beginning Jan. 31, 2022 for
- Walk-in, same-day service for death certificate orders for funeral homes are discontinued. Funeral homes may drop off orders at the Vital Statistics customer service window or use the Vital Statistics drop box located outside the CHR building visitor entrance. Funeral home orders will be processed and mailed to the address provided.
- Death certificate orders received via KY-EDRS, VitalChek and USPS will be processed in the order received and mailed to the address provided.
We sincerely appreciate your patience and cooperation.
What is the KY-EDRS?
The Kentucky Electronic Death Registration System (KY-EDRS) enables death records to be filed online with the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics (OVS), creating a paperless option.
The online KY-EDRS supports collaboration among multiple users including funeral homes, hospitals, nursing homes, physicians, coroners, advanced practice registered nurses, physician assistants, dentists, or chiropractors and OVS.
With KY-EDRS, funeral directors, physicians and medical certifiers can complete the death registration process faster with fewer errors and more efficiently.
- Saves time and effort.
- Allows error correction enhanced accuracy.
- Supports completion and filing of a death record partially in electronic format and partially on paper if all participants are not online.
- Eliminates the need to obtain signatures.
- Electronically verifies Social Security numbers.
- Improves turnaround time for certified copies.
- Ensures security by requiring user authentication.
Login Information for KY-EDRS
Login to KY-EDRS - registered users only
To participate in KY-EDRS, please contact the Office of Vital Statistics at (866) 451-3781.
KY-EDRS User Guides:
The Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics offers training on how to register and file death certificates through the KY-EDRS.
Two-hour training sessions are available upon request at no cost to current and new users of the KY-EDRS users. Training takes place at the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services in the CHR Building, 275 E. Main St., Frankfort, KY. Though KY-EDRS training is not mandatory for participation in the online system, users may find it helpful. Please call (866) 451-3781 to request training.
KY-EDRS Help Desk Telephone Numbers
- Staff is available during regular business hours to answer questions and provide assistance using the KY-EDRS. Please use the following telephone numbers:
- For help using the KY-EDRS call (877) 545-6175 during regular business hours.
- For help resetting your password call (877) 545-6175 during regular business hours.
- For help with proper completion of the death certificate (business rules) call the STATLINE at (866) 451-3781 or call (502) 564-4212, extensions 3231, 3232 or 3260 during regular business hours.
Funeral director resources
Medical Certifier/Coroner Information
Help with Common Problems in Death Certification