The National Background Check Program is inviting Skilled Nursing Facilities into the KARES Pilot.
Licensed Skilled Nursing Facilities in Kentucky are invited to enroll in Kentucky’s National Background Check Program pilot phase, and use KARES voluntarily and help Reduce the potential for abuse, neglect or exploitation, including financial exploitation of elderly and vulnerable adults. Licensed Skilled Nursing Facilities can enroll in KARES to take advantage of the State and FBI fingerprint background checks for $20; the same cost of a current name-based in-state only background check. Grant funds will be used to subsisted the cost of the FBI checks.
||Accessing the KARES Web Portal
The KARES web portal is accessed through a secured gateway called the Kentucky Online Gateway. Each user will need to create a user account through the Kentucky Online Gateway before having the ability to access the KARES system.
At this time the Pilot phase has been extended to Skilled Nursing Facilities. After the successful completion of the pilot phase, the OIG will announce information on open statewide participation, watch the Long Term Care newsletter and this website.
If you are a licensed Skilled Nursing Facility wishing to participate in the National Background Check Program, see the document below on how to create your KARES user account.
KARES User Account Creation and System Access
Access the Kentucky Online Gateway
Once inside the KARES system, access the KARES user guide and training videos by clicking the Help link located at the top of the screen.
||National Background Check Required Forms
Employers participating in the National Background Check Program must complete an applicant self-disclosure form, OIG 1:190-B and complete a consent and release form, OIG 1:190-C. These forms are found within the KARES web portal.
||Background Check Process
- Employer logs into the KARES website and submits job application information.
- Immediate response from KARES checking:
- Abuse registries
- Professional licensure status
- If the applicant is not disqualified due to the registry and licensure check, the employer submits an online payment for fingerprint background check.
- Employer provides applicant with the barcode fingerprint form.
- Applicant takes fingerprint form and photo ID to fingerprint site within 30 days.
- Upon submission of fingerprints employer may hire applicant provisionally for 60 days.
- NBCP staff receives results of state and FBI background checks to make fitness determination.
- Provider is sent electronic notification applicant is cleared for or disqualified from hire.
- If disqualified, NBCP notifies applicant with explanation of appeals process.