What is the KY-EDRS?
The Kentucky Electronic Death Registration System (KY-EDRS) enables participants in the death registration process to file death records online with the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics (OVS), creating the option of a paperless system.
The online KY-EDRS facilitates collaboration among multiple death registration users, including funeral homes, hospitals, nursing homes, physicians, coroners and OVS.
With KY-EDRS, funeral directors, physicians and medical certifiers will be able to complete their portion of the death registration process faster, with fewer errors and more efficiently.
The KY-EDRS also:
- Saves time and effort by enabling death certificate completion electronically.
- Incorporates edits for enhanced accuracy in completing death certificates.
- Supports the completion and filing of a death record that is partially an electronic record and partially a paper certificate if all participants are not online.
- Improves death data registration speed and quality.
- Eliminates the need to physically locate medical certifiers to obtain signatures.
- Electronically verifies decedent Social Security number with Social Security Administration, thus reducing errors.
- Enables faster death registration at the OVS, improving turnaround time for obtaining certified copies for families.
- Ensures security by utilizing electronic authentication of all users.
Login Information for KY-EDRS:
Login link for KY-EDRS REGISTERED USERS ONLY.
Login to KY-EDRS
If you are interested in becoming an active participant, please contact the Office of Vital Statistics at (866) 451-3781.
KY-EDRS User Guides:
Funeral Director User Guide
Medical Certifier User Guide
KY-EDRS Medical Certifier Training Schedule
The Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics is pleased to announce that we are now offering medical certifier face-to-face training sessions on how to register and file death certificates through the new KY-EDRS.
These two-hour training sessions are available to all medical certifiers and medical certifier assistants. Training will take place at the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services in the CHR Building at 275 E. Main St., Frankfort. Though KY-EDRS training is not mandatory for medical certifiers or assistants to participate in the online system, certifiers may find it helpful to take part in one of these face-to-face training sessions with OVS staff.
Please call (866) 451-3781 to enroll. The following training dates are currently scheduled for 2015. All sessions are conducted from 9 to 11 a.m., Eastern time. All training dates fall on Wednesday.
KY-EDRS Help Desk Telephone Numbers:
Staff is available during regular business hours to answer questions and provide assistance using the KY-EDRS. Please use the following telephone numbers:
- For questions about using the KY-EDRS call (877) 545-6175 during regular business hours.
- For help resetting your password call (877) 545-6175 during regular business hours.
- For questions about proper completion of the death certificate (business rules) call the STATLINE at (866) 451-3781 or call (502) 564-4212, extensions 3231, 3232 or 3260 during regular business hours.