Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
The BRFSS is a telephone health survey cosponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Kentucky Department for Public Health. The survey is randomly administered to non-institutionalized civilian adults 18 and older households with a telephone. Participation in the survey is strictly voluntary. Personal identifying information, such as name or address, is not collected. In Kentucky, the BRFSS has been conducted continuously since 1985. The Kentucky BRFSS Program is located organizationally in the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Department for Public Health, Division of Prevention and Quality Improvement.
||How BRFSS Data Are Used
Data from each individual surveyed are combined to determine the health practices of Kentuckians. Kentucky data are also combined with other states’ data to provide national estimates of health behaviors. Data received from the BRFSS are extremely important and have been used in the following ways:
- To analyze health trends
- To develop policies and legislation
- To plan and to measure the progress of prevention initiatives
- To monitor health goals, such as those stated in Healthy Kentuckians 2020
- To educate the public about risk behaviors and preventive health practices
- To provide data for preparation of budgets, contracts, and grants
Kentucky BRFSS Data Reports
||BRFSS Questionnaire Format
The BRFSS questionnaire is divided into three sections: core questions, optional modules and state-added questions.
- Core Questions: Core questions are asked by all states and participating territories.
- Optional Modules: These are groups of questions developed by the CDC on particular topics that states may choose to include on the questionnaire.
- State Added Questions: States may provide questions to be included that relate to the public heath needs of their state.
||How to Obtain Additional BRFSS Data
Data from Kentucky and all 50 states can be obtained from the CDC BRFSS website. When the site loads, scroll down to the section titled Prevalence Data. Data can be queried by topic, state and year (1995-2011).
You may request additional Kentucky specific BRFSS data information. For data sets request, complete this form. For specific analyzed data complete this form.
Fax your request to (502) 564-4667
Email your request to Sarojini Kanotra
Kentucky BRFSS Coordinator
Chronic Disease Prevention and Control Branch
Kentucky Department for Public Health
275 E. Main St., Mail Stop HSWE
Frankfort, KY 40621
Phone: (502) 564-7996, ext. 4434
Fax Number: (502) 564-4667