HIV/AIDS Continuing Education for Health Professionals
||State Licensure Requirements
Many licensure boards in Kentucky require continuing education on HIV/AIDS (please check with your licensure board for specifics).
CHFS list of courses approved to meet this licensure requirement.
As of 2015, HIV/AIDS education is no longer required for Kentucky physicians or nurses.
CHFS-sponsored HIV/AIDS Course on TRAIN.ORG for all Health Care Personnel (free CME).
||Fundamentals of HIV Prevention Counseling Workshops
Kentucky law requires HIV test counselors to be trained in the Fundamentals of HIV Prevention Counseling. Space is limited in these full-day workshops. To participate, follow these steps:
- Create an account on KY.TRAIN.org if you don't already have one.
- Take the online prerequisite course #1021131 on KY.TRAIN (3.6 hours) (general information on HIV).
- Take the online prerequisite course #1054132 on KY.TRAIN (3.0 hours) (preparatory courses on HIV counseling).
- Take the online prerequisite courses #1052459 and #1052460 (courses on rapid HIV testing)
- Find a workshop in your area and register.
Training on the use of rapid HIV tests involves taking the appropriate KY.TRAIN module listed below. These modules require that you successfully run a set of rapid test kit controls in the presence of your testing supervisor. Ask which type of rapid test your agency is using to determine which module you will need.
- Clearview Rapid HIV Test Web-Based Training 1052459
- OraQuick Rapid HIV Test Web-Based Training 1052460
||Kentucky Harm Reduction and Syringe Exchange Program
In direct response to Senate Bill 192 enacted during the 2015 regular legislative session, the Kentucky Department for Public Health has published guidelines for local health departments implementing Harm Reduction and Syringe Exchange Programs (HRSEP).
SB 192 impacts KRS 218A.500/510