Governor's Service Awards
The Governor's Service Awards program offers a rare glimpse into the lives and achievements of Kentuckians who serve without expectation of compensation, recognition or commendation.
The Governor's Office launched the program in 1975. Since 1995, the Kentucky Commission on Community Volunteerism and Service has managed the awards program. It’s been our distinct privilege over the years to recognize a few of the thousands whose volunteer service contributes immeasurably to a better Kentucky.
||21st Annual Awards
Governor's Service Awards: Nominations Deadline is April 26
The Kentucky Commission on Community Volunteerism and Service is seeking nominations for the annual Governor's Service Awards. We are looking for outstanding individuals, groups, national service members, nonprofits and businesses making a difference in our communities across the commonwealth. The nomination process has been simplified and nominations may even be submitted online.
2016 GSA Nomination Form (PDF)
2016 GSA Nomination Form (online)
2016 GSA Narrative Scoring Criteria
Past Governor's Service Award Winners
Call for Nominations press release (PDF)
Share on Facebook or Twitter
For more information, contact Shannon Ramsey, (800) 239-7404, ext. 3841.
||Award Categories and Criteria
Volunteer Service Award
Classifications: Youth, Adult, Senior, Veteran
Recognizes individuals who have met a community need in an innovative and/or effective manner. Nominees may have made an impact through changed lives and/or community conditions as a result of service efforts. Nominees should demonstrate an ethic of service, compassion and/or and a nature to inspire others to serve.
Business Service Award
Classifications: Small, Mid-size, Large, Entrepreneur/Partnership, Enterprise/Corporation
Recognizes businesses that have made an impact through innovation, volunteer hours, number of volunteers, monetary support, etc. It may recognize ongoing community involvement and/ or the historical record of supporting volunteerism through policies and practices.
Group Service Award
Classifications: Nonprofit, Faith-based, General
Recognizes nonprofits, faith-based and/or general groups that demonstrate significant volunteer outreach and efforts to positively impact their community. It may recognize successful collaborations and/or management of an exceptional volunteer program.
National Service Award
Classifications: Individual, Program, Alumni
Recognizes an individual member and/or group of members of a national service program (AmeriCorps State/National; AmeriCorps VISTA, NCCC; or Senior Corps FGP, SCP, RSVP) who have demonstrated service beyond standard expectations of the designated program, an extraordinary example of the National Service spirit. It may recognize an alumni whose commitment to embody service beyond their service term continues to bring about positive community change.
Lifetime Achievement Award
Classifications: Active, Posthumous
Recognizes a lifelong commitment to volunteerism and community service at a variety of levels, resulting in a substantial and/or sustained impact. It may recognize outstanding service of an individual who has enhanced the delivery of social services in Kentucky. Nominees should demonstrate a minimum of 15 years of serving and engaging others in service.
Questions about the awards program should be directed to Shannon Ramsey, 502-564-7420, x3841 or 859-474-2617.
||Lifetime Achievement Award Recipients
- 2015-16: Nominations accept through April 26, 2016
- 2014-15: Virginia Braswell
- 2013-14: Ginny Ramsey
- 2012-13: Dr. Paula Maionchi
- 2011-12: George B. Merrifield Jr. and Jeanette Elder
- 2010-11: Bill Burch
- 2009-10: Charles Stiles
- 2008-09: Dr. Merrill A. Winchester
- 2007-08: Robley H. Rex and Garnett Fairchild
||20th Annual Awards
Press Release: Lt. Gov. Honors Exemplary Volunteers; Service from 2014 recognized during ceremony at Governor’s Mansion (July 29, 2015)
- John Salyers, Kentucky Ambassador Award
- Melissa Phelps, Challenge Award
- The Fuller Center, Faith-Based Group Award
- Lesley Nord, First Lady's Award
- Rotary Club of Cadiz, Group Volunteer Service Award
- Virginia Braswell, Lifetime Achievement Award
- Kentucky College Coaches, National Service Group Award
- Wanda Hipps, National Service Individual Award
- Housing Opportunities of Northern Kentucky (HONK), Nonprofit Organization Award
- Adrian D. Wallace, Veteran Volunteer Service Award
- Susan Guess, Volunteer Service Award
- Catherine Mitchell, Volunteer Coordinator Award
- Hailey Simpson, Youth Volunteer Service Award
- Hannah Irvine, Youth Volunteer Service Award
Photos, News and Media
Ceremony photos on the KCCVS Facebook page.
Gov. and Mrs. Beshear's About Kentucky commentary on the awards program.
Article by Rep. Mike Denham: Volunteers and nonprofit organizations should be recognized for service
||19th Annual Awards
Gov. Steve Beshear honored 14 groups and individuals from across the state for their volunteer and service contributions at a ceremony in Frankfort on July 22, 2014.
Gov. Beshear and Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services Deputy Secretary Eric Friedlander presented the Governor’s Service Awards at the Governor’s Mansion.
Gov. Beshear said the event was a chance to honor the state’s leaders and innovators – volunteers and national service members – and the example they set for others.
“It’s been said that a lot of people doing a little bit can make a big difference,” he said. “You have shown that one person doing a lot, can cause a wave of change.”
- Bonnie Clark, National Service Award
- Mark C. Dobbs, Volunteer Coordinator Award
- Jason Schubert, Kentucky Ambassador Award
- Lynda Frazier, First Lady's Award
- Jody Keeley, Challenge Award
- Breaking Bread, Faith-Based Group Award
- Humana Government Business, Corporate Award
- Union County Garden Coalition, Group Volunteer Service Award
- Bardstown At Home, Nonprofit Organization Award
- Sgt. Jerry Hall Jr., Veteran Volunteer Service Award
- Shelia Carroll, Senior Volunteer Service Award
- Gary Jones, Volunteer Service Award
- Nathaniel Jarboe, Youth Volunteer Service Award
- Ginny Ramsey, Lifetime Achievement Award
Photos, News and Media
Ceremony photos on Facebook
ALL event photos on Flickr (To download, click on the desired photo, then the arrow to download photo and then choose the size.)
Event Program (Winner Narratives)
CHFS Press release July 22, 2014
KyForward.com article July 23, 2014
||18th Annual Awards
Fourteen groups and individuals from across the state were honored for their volunteer and service contributions at a ceremony in Frankfort on Tuesday, June 25, 2013.
Lt. Gov. Jerry Abramson and CHFS Sec. Audrey Tayse Haynes, presented the Governor’s Service Awards for at the Governor’s Mansion. The awards honored for service completed in 2012.
- Dr. Paula Maionchi, Lifetime Achievement Award, Richmond/Madison County
- Benjamin Brown Otten, Challenge Award, Louisville/Jefferson County
- PNC Bank, Corporate Award, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky
- HOTEL INC Homeless Outreach Program, Faith-Based Group Award, Bowling Green/Warren County
- Alicia McClurg and Kim Standafer, Group Volunteer Service Award, West Liberty/Morgan County
- Carolyn R. Belmar, National Service Award, Louisville/Jefferson County
- The Kentucky Center Arts in Healing program, Nonprofit Organization Award, Louisville/Jefferson County
- James Terrell, Senior Volunteer Service Award, Cadiz/Trigg County
- Marian V. Gosling, Volunteer Coordinator Award, Louisville/Jefferson County
- Laura Jo “Jodie” Baker, Volunteer Service Award, Lexington/Fayette County
- Morgan Guess, Youth Volunteer Service Award, Paducah/McCracken County
- Mary Ruth Hawkins, First Lady's Award, Shepherdsville/Bullitt County
- MSUCorps, AmeriCorps Program award*
- Southern Bluegrass Service Region, DCBS Region award*
*Special traveling award for Make A Difference Day.
Photos, News and Media
Awards Ceremony and Reception Video, 6-25-13
Ceremony Photos, KCCVS Facebook page 6-25-13
Ceremony Program, online version 6-25-13
Gena Bigler: Kentucky is lucky to have many good people standing up and saying ‘why not’, KyForward.com 6-26-13
Governor’s Service Awards given to 14 in Frankfort ceremony, KyForward.com 6-26-13
HOTEL INC Wins Kentucky Governor’s Service Award For Service To Homeless, PRWeb.com 6-25-13
Lt. Gov. Abramson Honors Exemplary Volunteers; Service from 2012 Recognized, CHFS Newsroom 6-25-13
For information about past award programs and/or winners, contact Shannon Ramsey.