Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services (Banner Imagery) - Go to home page

Private Adoption Services

Private Agency Adoptions

Kentucky families may choose to adopt through private adoption agencies. Home studies must be conducted by private adoption agencies licensed in Kentucky. If you have a question about a Kentucky agency, you may contact:

Office of the Inspector General
Division of Regulated Child Care
275 E. Main St., 6E-B
Frankfort, KY 40621
Phone: (502) 564-7962

Listing of Private Licensed Foster Care and Adoption Agencies

Adopting from Another Country

Kentucky families considering adopting a child from another country are encouraged to contact a private agency, licensed in Kentucky, that prepares home studies for international adoptions.

Foreign adoption requirements change frequently. Information about which countries are placing children and the timeframes for these placements is available from the following Web sites:

External LinkU.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (Formerly INS)
Questions and answers about adopting a foreign-born orphan.

Adopting from Another State
(Private Agencies)

For residents of Kentucky, only licensed private adoption agencies in Kentucky can prepare a home study for an international adoption. The External LinkUnited States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) will not accept a home study done by anyone other than a Kentucky licensed private adoption agency.

All home studies for international adoption must be submitted to the USCIS for approval.


Last Updated 1/11/2011