STARS Parent Information
What does a STARS for KIDS NOW rating mean for your child? STAR rated centers and family child care homes are showing their commitment to quality by entering the STARS for KIDS NOW program.
- STARS for KIDS NOW standards and requirements are based on the quality indicators: child-to-caregiver ratios, program curriculum, child care staff training, program regulatory compliance and personnel policies.
- Parents can participate in family involvement activities.
- All STAR levels have measurable quality indicators above the state licensing minimum requirements.
- Child care program owner/director has completed an evaluation of the program using a nationally standardized tool, the Environmental Rating Scale (ERS). (by Harms, Cryer and Clifford)
- Center/program develops annual improvement plan based on previous ERS score.
- Child care staff is offered opportunity to participate in Kentucky's Early Childhood Development Scholarship to further their education.
What difference does quality make?
- Better parent-child relationships
- Greater thinking skills
- Better attention skills
- Enhanced academic performance
- Better relationship with peers
- Greater chance for finishing school and attending college
Racing for the STARS (PowerPoint for Parents)