The Cabinet for Health and Family Services consists of several agencies with various functions from internal administration to programs and direct services.
The agency links on the left will direct you to specific Cabinet areas as they are organizationally structured or browse the links below for information about agency functions.
Office of the Secretary
- Aging and Independent Living - Provides services to help older Kentuckians and their families through a statewide network of local, private and public agencies.
- Commission for Children with Special Health Care Needs - Plans, develops, provides and evaluates the public system of care for children with special health care needs. Serves children with physical disabilities from birth to age 21 through on-site and off-site clinics, therapies and related services.
- Community Based Services - Administers child protection and permanency and family support programs including adoption, child abuse, child care, child support, SNAP food benefits (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly food stamps) and foster care.
- Family Resource Centers and Volunteer Services - Includes Division of Family Resource and Youth Services Centers and Kentucky Commission on Community Volunteerism and Service.
- Office of Health Benefit and Health Information Exchange - Oversees kynect, Kentucky's health benefit exchange, where residents can find plan information, shop for health insurance and apply for premium subsidies and tax credits. kynect also helps users determine their eligibility and apply for Medicaid and the Kentucky Children's Health Insurance Program. The office includes the divisions of Kentucky Access and Kentucky Health Information Exchange.
- Office of Health Policy - The Office of Health Policy was created to ensure that health planning and policy research and development occurs in a coordinated, timely, efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Income Support - Consists of Disability Determinations Services and Child Support Enforcement.
- Medicaid Services - Purchases quality healthcare and related services that produce positive outcomes for persons eligible for programs administered by the department.
- Behavioral Health, Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities - Provides quality information, services and support for individuals with needs related to mental illness, intellectual disability or other developmental disability and their families.
- Public Health - Develops and operates all public health programs and activities for the citizens of Kentucky including health service programs for the prevention, detection, care and treatment of physical disabilities, illness and disease. Find information fast about DPH programs at Find it Fast.
Program Support Agencies
- Administrative Hearings - hears appeals of administrative actions concerning the departments for Medicaid Services, Public Health, Mental Health and Mental Retardation, Inspector General and Administrative Services or as requested by the secretary of the Cabinet. Also hears and and makes decisions regarding certificate of need pplications.
- Child Care - Administers the Child Care Assistance Program to help Kentucky low-income families find and afford quality child care. The division also provides information regarding professional development opportunities for day care staff and other child care professionals.
- Child Support - The state IV-D agency responsible for administering the child support program, including location services, establishing paternity and child and medical support, enforcing support orders and collecting and distributing support payments.
- Disability Determination Services - Makes disability determinations on behalf of the commissioner of Social Security for residents of Kentucky.
- Family Resource and Youth Services Centers - The Division of FRYSC provides administrative support, technical assistance and training to help academically at-risk students and their families.
- Family Support - The Division of Family Support administers programs including Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly food stamps, Kentucky Temporary Assistance, Simplified Assistance for the Elderly and Medicaid programs and handles welfare administration claims.
- Prevention Violence Resources - Works to raise awareness of the domestic violence, child abuse and sexual assault and create ways to enhance criminal justice and human service response to the needs of victims of these crimes.
- Protection and Permanency - The Division of Protection and Permanency provides consultative services and technical assistance to Cabinet service regions regarding issues of child and adult protection, guardianship and permanency for children.
- Women's Physical and Mental Health - The state's clearinghouse for data and information on women's health issues. Site maintains a women's health resource center and routinely conducts outreach and education on numerous women's health topics.
Advisory Commissions, Councils and Boards